Church doesn’t just happen when we’re sitting in the pew. Church happens when we reach out to those who are hungry, sick, or forgotten. When we work together to end disease and relieve suffering, when we stand together for justice and inclusion, and when we open our hearts to those who are struggling, that’s putting beliefs into action. That’s what it means to rethink church.
from: Rethink Church.com
We have many opportunities for you to be involved, both locally and globally..
The heart of Methodism during the life of John Wesley was the Class Meeting. This was a small covenant discipleship support group where members were accountable to each other, confessed their faults to one another, prayed for each other, and encouraged one another to love and perform good works. They examined the teachings of the Bible in light of actual personal experience and provided nurturing and equipping leaders. KUMC has two adult Sunday school classes that meet at 10 am.
- Christ in the Current : an inter-generational class that focuses on applying the Wesleyan Quadrilateral to current events and social concerns to discover how we can be more faithful and active Christians in 21st-century society, facilitated by Sean Claes.
- Living the Questions: a DVD study about Paul’s letter to the Christians in Rome, exploring issues in Paul’s culture and ours to better grasp the powerful impact then and now.
We also have a groups that meet on days other than Sundays–check the calendar for days and times.
Children’s and Youth Ministry
Children’s Ministry at Kyle United Methodist Church recognizes that all children are blessings from God. We have many programs for our little ones– such as Vacation Bible School, Sunday School, Nursery Care and Children’s Fellowship events. For more information, visit our Children’s Ministry page
At Kyle United Methodist Church, Youth grades 6-12 gather together for Bible Study on Sunday mornings, Youth Nights on Sunday Evenings and to become involved in aspects of worship, serving alongside adults and leading the younger children. Youth participate in fellowship activities, retreats, service projects and Mission Trips. To learn more about our Youth Ministry, visit the youth ministry page.
Looking for a group of people that gather together to talk, have a brief devotion, eat/snack, do an activity and/or play a game? We have several groups to choose from. Here you can take time out of your busy schedule to enjoy life a little, share, and develop deep, loving friendships. If you are interested in joining a group, check the calendar for upcoming events, and join right in!
- Young Adults Group: a new group that seeks to empower persons between the ages of 22 and 35 to “Grow” as faithful disciples of Jesus Christ. Those interested in joining should email youngadults [at] kyleumc.org.
- Bible on Tap: Meeting Mondays at 6:30pm at Buck’s Backyard in Buda, this hour long, weekly bible study will cover a current event topic that provides countless opportunities for discussion and biblical reference! There is nothing to prepare or study ahead of time. Please join us for this relaxed and fun filled weekly gathering while we explore our current world and how our faith and the bible helps us navigate our daily lives!
- UMW Cheer Circle and Twilight Circles: United Methodist Women (UMW) invites anyone interested in learning more about what we do to in service and to share in God’s love to please come and visit our Circles. We welcome new faces and new ideas. We enjoy working on our ministries and helping support local charities; focusing on women and children’s needs. Cheer circle meets on the First Monday of the Month at 11:00am in the Family Life Center and Twilight Circle meets the Third Thursday of the month at 7:00pm in the Family Life Center.
Pray Ball! Kickball Team: Support our ministry to our community through sport! A game and signup schedule can be found on the City of Kyle’s website under the Parks and Recreation Department.
- Youth Group meets every Sunday from 6-8pm in the Youth Room in the Family Life Center. Youth entering 6th grade-12th grade are invited to join us for food, fellowship and fun! Bring your friends, all are welcome! We will do a meal during Youth Group on the first Sunday of the month–all other youth group meetings will include snacks.
You can also join groups that serve our community both internally and externally:
- Missions Committee: the core team that seeks to fulfill God’s mission throughout the world and to participate in the United Methodist Church’s outreach across all boundaries that divide the human family.
- Family Ministries: this team fosters missional projects developed around increasing connections within the family as well as inter-generational connections in the church at large.
- Visitation Committee: this team visits those that are ill, homebound, or are otherwise unable to attend service for fellowship and worship.
- Bereavement Committee: this team provides comfort, and food to aid families in mourning after the loss of a loved one.
- Worship Team: a creative team that works with the pastor to help the congregation engage in worship in meaningful ways. Areas of service include ushers, greeters, music, technology, set-up, creative art.
- Children’s Education volunteer: be part of the team that ministers to our children and youth as a Sunday school instructor, VBS volunteer, nursery/pre-school worker, or any other area where our kiddos congregate. Safe Sanctuary training is required to be a volunteer, see our Children and Youth Director for details.
- United Methodist Women: a supportive, inclusive community of women committed to mission. Here women grow spiritually, develop as leaders, and serve and work to create a world in which all women, children and youth thrive.
- Walk to Emmaus: as a church we support this lay-led spiritual movement. Contact the church office for more information on the groups, and check the calendar for Emmaus events.
“Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world.” ~Martin Luther
The Music Ministry of Kyle United Methodist Church is comprised of two primary groups.
- KUMC Choir – Our inter-generational choir serves the 9 a.m. service. All are welcome at any time! Contact our music director if you are interested. Rehearsals are at 6:45pm on Wednesdays in the sanctuary and 8:30am on Sundays in the Family Life Center.
- Praise Band (Joyful Noise) – our wonderful praise band serves the 11:15 a.m. service and is made up entirely of volunteers who simply want to share their joy with the rest of the congregation. People interested in playing in the band should contact our music director. Rehearsals are at 7:45pm Wednesday evenings in the Sanctuary.